Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Canning/Freezing Salsa Mix questions. Options
alaughlin82
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 25, 2009 10:05:26 PM

Groups: Member

I'm completely new to canning in general. My grandma has told me that when I am making salsa that I only need to follow the recipe, cook it down as in the recipe, heat the rings and jars then pour the salsa in the jars and seal them up. I did this with the first 11 quarts but after reading am concerned being that I did not do the hot water bath. Is what she is telling me an old way of doing this? Do I need to freeze this so it doesn't go bad? All of the seals sealed up fine within an hour of doing this. Any advice would be appreciated.

Adam
DellaDonna
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 29, 2009 11:24:33 AM

Hey Adam....Don't panic!!!! I've been canning for years and years and I've never used a hot water bath to preserve. Just as long as you've made sure to boil your jars and seals[I run mine through the dishwasher] you shouldn't have any problems. You can tell if your lids haven't sealed because they will move up and down when you push on them, you can also hear the vacumn when you open up a jar so you know they've been sealed. Then store them in a cool dry spot. Happy Canning
alaughlin82
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 29, 2009 2:14:07 PM

Thanks so much for your reply! I ended up getting 25 quarts and they all sealed. Thanks so much for your help. :)
JudyLou
#4 Posted : Friday, September 04, 2009 11:17:15 PM

I'm sorry to have to disagree with the previous answer but all home canned foods must be processed in some fashion to be safe for storage, either in a boiling water bath or pressure canner, and failure to do so is very hazardous. Hot seal canning of jars such as described above was proven dangerous as long ago as 1974.

Especially so salsas since you eat them fresh from the jar and the standard form of processing for salsa is 15 minutes in a BWB if it contains adequate acid or otherwise pressure canning only. You can review detailed instructions on canning salsa at http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/...6WAccessibleApril09.pdf

Might I also suggest a review of the current home food preservation guidelines that can be found online at http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/ You might want to consider picking up a copy of the Ball Blue Book of Canning too. It is inexpensive and covers all the basics for safe home canning practices.

Please also note that running jars through a dishwasher does not sterilize them, it only sanitizes them. Only boiling water can sterilize your jars but if properly processed for canning sterilization is not required. I would strongly recommend that you freeze your salsa to make it safe as it is too late to process it now.
Draclvr
#5 Posted : Saturday, September 05, 2009 11:39:32 AM

Oh, my goodness. PLEASE heed JudyLou's comments. Simply putting lids on jars of hot salsa has indeed been proven to be very hazardous. Your jars may have appeared to seal, but they actually didn't. All that happened is a temperature differential that pulled the "button" down. An actual seal requires a boiling water bath that covers the jars or pressure canning and actually forms a vacuum between the product and the lid. I would also recommend freezing the salsa for safety, as you are spinning the roulette wheel if you don't. Do put it in larger jars as the expansion during freezing may break the jars.

We have an annual Salsa Party (a party in name only!) every year. We normally do around 60 gallons of salsa, pizza sauce, spaghetti sauce and chili sauce using Mrs. Wage's mixes. For ultimate food safety, we pressure can pints @10 lbs pressure for 10 minutes.